Skip to content

WABI TV-5

70-year-old Herbert Carey Jr. was arrested in August on accusations of sexually assaulting one of his students.

MILO, Maine (WABI) – A former teacher and coach in Milo was indicted by a Piscataquis County grand jury on six counts of gross sexual assault.

Seventy-year-old Herbert Carey Jr. was arrested in August on accusations of sexually assaulting one of his students.

Carey was a teacher and tennis coach at Penquis Valley High School.

He was also listed as an AOS 43 school board member at one point.

Officials say the alleged crimes happened between April 2015 and 2016.

We’re told they have an indication the incidents took place in Milo and at Schoodic Lake.

Copyright 2021 WABI. All rights reserved.

MILO, Maine (WABI) – Hope is the word of the day Saturday as the new Dyer Hope House food pantry opened their doors in Milo.

Now named after longtime organizer Hope Dyer and her husband, the center used to be known as the Milo Ecumenical Food Cupboard.

But, they outgrew their old home in a local church basement, and needed a new center with easier access.

They’re now a registered charity, and the new building is a much better fit.

They get their food from local stores and donations, and they’re open from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Thursday.

Hope has been involved with the group for more than 20 years, and she’s very excited for what the future of this pantry now holds.

”It’s so much easier to do food cupboard now. We still get people that come in here, and they are desperate. They have nothing in their cupboards,” said Hope Dyer.

“It means a lot to them to have a place that they can come to when they’re in need,” said Andrew East, a longtime volunteer.

Hope says seeing her family’s name on the sign is a little overwhelming.

“We’ve just been here, making sure people have got food,” said Dyer.

The group can always use more volunteers you can find out more information on their Facebook page.

Copyright 2021 WABI. All rights reserved.

BROWNVILLE, Maine (WABI) – A family from Brownville is asking the community for support as they navigate a serious medical diagnosis for their infant son.

Bradley Hanson will be two months old on Thursday, September 16th.

His parents say he was born with a heart murmur, which doctors hoped would go away on its own. Instead, his symptoms worsened.

Last week, he was rushed to a Boston hospital after tests revealed he had a narrow aortic valve.

Bradley underwent surgery over the weekend, and now his parents are waiting to hear if he’ll need another operation.

“It’s been very scary,” said Desiree Abbott, Bradley’s mom. “All I’ve wanted to do is pick him up and hold him. When he got his tube out, they told me that he was going to be a healthy little boy, he was gonna be happy. His stats were looking good, and then I watched my nurses eyes go big and she goes pale white and the next thing I know we got 10 people in here and a crash cart.”

“We haven’t been able to hold him or anything like that because of his breathing tube and a lot of the IVs that are in him right now,” said Travis Hanson, Bradley’s dad. “So he’s pretty much pretty sleepy all the time because they’re keeping him sedated.”

Bradley’s dad Travis works as a truck driver and has taken an indefinite leave of absence so he can be with his family.

They say they’re leaning on friends and family during this time.

“We are living off coffee and prayers,” Abbott said in an email to TV5.

They have a GoFundMe set up to help with medical bills, travel expenses, and other costs they accumulate during this time.

If you’d like to contribute, click here.

Copyright 2021 WABI. All rights reserved.

MILO, Maine (WABI) – A Milo man accused of murdering his son is being held on $250,000 bail.

Twenty-eight-year-old Reginald Melvin appeared before a judge in Piscataquis County Tuesday afternoon.

Melvin is charged with depraved indifference murder for the death of one-month old Sylus Melvin.

Prosecutors say the incident that caused the infant’s death happened on Sunday in Milo.

Additional court records have been sealed.

Melvin’s next court appearance has not yet been scheduled.

Copyright 2021 WABI. All rights reserved.

BANGOR, Maine (WABI) – A LaGrange man will spend three and a half years behind bars for a car crash that killed his passenger last year.

Forty-year-old Randall Hamm pleaded guilty Monday morning to manslaughter and criminal OUI.

State Police say Hamm was driving an SUV on Medford Road in LaGrange in July of last year.

He lost control of the vehicle and it rolled over.

His passenger, 35-year-old Desarae Bourgoine of LaGrange, was thrown out and killed.

Hamm addressed members of Bourgoine’s family who were in the court room.

”Sorry is not enough, it will never be enough, but I am very sorry for what happened. I miss her every day and I know you guys do too. She was amazing, she really was, and I hope you guys can find some peace,: Hamm said.

“I think that having a DV assault conviction with respect to Ms. Bourgoine is an incredibly aggravating factor in this particular situation, so I do reflect upon that. On the other hand I do accept that Mr. Hamm has accepted responsibility. That is a mitigating factor, and I am satisfied that Mr. Hamm has expressed genuine remorse,” said Ann Murray, Superior Court justice.

In addition to prison, Hamm will be on probation for four years and is not to have any contact with the victim’s family.

He will undergo substance abuse treatment and his license will be suspended for 10 years following his release.

Copyright 2021 WABI. All rights reserved.

MILO, Maine (WABI) – A former teacher and coach in Milo is accused of sexually assaulting one of his students.

Seventy-year-old Herbert Carey Jr. was arrested Tuesday and charged with six counts of gross sexual assault.

Carey was a teacher and tennis coach at Penquis Valley High School.

He is also listed as an AOS 43 school board member.

Officials say the alleged crimes happened between April 2015 and 2016.

Assistant District Attorney Chris Almy says it involved a student at the school.

“The investigation started in early May of this year when the victim came forward and disclosed to the Piscataquis County Sheriff’s Office, and from there, the Sheriff himself investigated, and as a result, the defendant has been charged with these offenses,” Almy said.

Almy says they have an indication the incidents took place in Milo and at Schoodic Lake.

Carey is due in court in September.

LAGRANGE, Maine (WABI) – Thursday marks one month since the disappearance of 32-year-old Nicholas Cross of Lagrange.

“In 30 days nobody has seen him. I hope to god that he’s out there,” said Casey Cross, sister of Nicholas Cross.

Since he went missing on June 15th, his family has made posters around town, and even gone on search parties looking for him.

“And I still believe that he is somewhere around here,” said Casey Cross.

The day before he was last seen, his sister Casey Cross says her brother was hallucinating and made multiple calls to 911 asking for help.

“If somebody calls from dispatch and tells you hey I don’t know who I am, I don’t know what’s going on, I’m hallucinating and I need help, my first thing would be call an ambulance. I’m sorry a person’s life is a person’s life, whether they’re a drug addict or not,” said Casey Cross.

The next morning, Nicholas Cross was still acting erratic, so his sister took him to the Milo Police Department where unfortunately they couldn’t help because he would not voluntarily get into an ambulance.

His sister began driving him to the hospital but he threatened to jump out.

“So I stop my truck and when I stopped he got out and just basically starting taking his stuff out of the truck and took off,” said Casey Cross.

After Nicholas Cross left the car of his sister Casey and began running down the road on the morning of June15th, the last place he was seen was later in the afternoon about a mile and a half down this road, on the front lawn of someone’s home. Now the homeowner happened to see Cross and then called 911.

“And she said when she came back he was already gone,” said Casey Cross.

The Penobscot County Sheriffs Office says this investigation is still active.

“I hope that people realize that this is serious and that if they’ve seen him that they just need to call in. We just want to know that’s he’s alive and safe,” said Casey Cross.

If you do see Nicholas Cross or know anything about his whereabouts, you are encouraged to call the Penobscot County Sheriff’s Office at 947-4585.

BROWNVILLE, Maine (WABI) – The Scoreboard. In sports, it’s the ultimate judge, jury and executioner, with zero regard for nuance.

That team you beat doesn’t like how you play? Scoreboard. You beat a team in every statistical category? Neat. What does the scoreboard say?

You probably don’t know how much time you’ve spent looking at one and it may not mean much to you, but to the alumni of the old Brownville Junction High School- a place that doesn’t even exist anymore- it means an awful lot that they will forever get to look at theirs.

Brownville Junction High School graduated it’s last class in 1968, and soon after, the town decided they didn’t have much use for it anymore, and tore it down.

“People who lived in town were invited to go and take whatever they wanted to take,” said Susan Worcester, President of the Brownville Historical. “Society Some people took bleachers. Some people took ceiling tiles. Somebody took the scoreboard and we really weren’t sure where it was.”

Until Berton Lockhart, class of ’57, walked into Berg’s screen printing store in Corinna to pick up the t-shirts he ordered for his 50th class reunion.

“So, we got looking around, we went down in the basement, and lo and behold, the scoreboard was there,” Lockhart said. “Of course, no one knew why. So we asked him, and he said he got it from his father.”

Lockhart held on to the scoreboard for the next fourteen years, before finally bringing it to the Brownville Historical society, where they considered what to do with it.

“There were a few people here who thought we should just take it to the dump,” said Worcester. “That’s what kind of shape it was in.”

You wouldn’t know it to look at the grass lot where the old high school once stood, but Brownville Junction has a proud basketball history. The scoreboard was a big part of it. Brownville Junction alum Ronald Knowles remembers it well.

“One of the biggest victories that we ever had at Brownville Junction history that I remember was the Milo game. I’ll never forget it,” he said. “We hadn’t beat them in baseball in fourteen years, and basketball in seven years, and we beat them 33-31 that night. And that scoreboard- I can still remember looking at that scoreboard just wondering if we was going to hang on.”

Eventually it was repaired at  Moosehead Signs in Greenville, thanks to Brownville Junction alumni Bill Bellatty, who paid for the entire restoration out of pocket. A gift made even more remarkable by the fact that Bellatty may never see it in person, as he battles Leukemia from his home in California.

“To me at the time, it was just the right thing to do,” Bellatty said. “To pay back what was given to me in the time I was at that school.”

“It’s a huge project, and it’s a metal project,” added Worcester. “It’s not just painting it up and making it look better. Had it been up to us, we’d still be collecting money, because we don’t have the funds to take on a project of that size.”

Now a featured item at the historical society, the scoreboard has frozen in time the final score of Brownville Junctions State Championship win over Old Orchard in 1967, while the gold ball sits in a trophy room at the old VFW Hall.

“They had nothing here to remember it by” Worcester continued. “The building was torn down in 1975. Brownville Junction has been a dying community since the railroad has made a lot of changes and didn’t need all of the people. Businesses have of course left. Nobody came in. So it’s really been incredible for us to have this piece of Brownville’s history here,”

Scott Kirby, class of ‘68, was on the ‘67 title team, and he agrees.

“I don’t think I’d seen that scoreboard since ’68 when I graduated,” he said. “So that was fifty-three years ago. It’s hard to believe that many years have gone by, and it just brought back a lot of memories seeing it.”

“I was a basketball nut,” said Bellatty. “I don’t know how many hours I spent in that gym. And I loved it. And I remember that clock sitting up there at the top. I can see that clock going right now. And I can see it going to red, when you’ve got one minute to go. And I can still hear that horn that went off.

The historical society asked us not to show the finished restoration in full, as they’re holding an official open house to view the scoreboard later this month. But it safe to say they’re anxiously watching the clock until the day arrives when they can show it off to the community.

“I think they’re going to be amazed,” Worcester said. “Totally amazed.”

“Ohhh, it’s beautiful,” said Lockhart, with a smile. “Yup, it is. You can see the scores.”

Copyright © 1996-2021 Three Rivers Community of Maine