Billy Ralph Marshall

December 07, 1930
- February 19, 2017

ORNEVILLE - Billy Ralph Marshall, 86, passed away at a Bangor hospital February 19, 2017. He was born December 7, 1930, in Bradford, to Stanley A. Marshall and Dorrice (Foss) Marshall.
He is survived by his wife, Diane York Marshall. His brother, Beverly Marshall of Norwalk, CT. His children; Alan Marshall, Dennis Marshall and wife Debbie all of Lake Worth, FL, Sandra Marshall and husband Keith Hart of Newport; Norma Wing and her husband Roger of Vienna, Lorna Marshall of Manchester, NH, step-son; Eric Brooks and wife Sarah of Charleston.
Surviving are his seven grandchildren, four great grandchildren, one great, great, grandchild, three step- grandchildren, and three step- great grandchildren. He was predeceased by his parents, brothers; Robert Gordon and Herbert Marshall, two grandchildren; Sheena and Travis Marshall.
A lot of his friends have already passed on, but many he is still leaving behind. Dear friends like; Donald Merrill, Greg Dyer, Ron Purdue, Don Marson, Eugene Turner, Dalton Dunsee, and our good neighbors, Robbie and Doug Robinson as well as many more.
Billy was always a great provider for his family; always a hard worker. He believed in good work ethic and that no one should expect something for nothing. He was a 100% disabled veteran. He joined the Army May 18, 1949, at the age of 18. Bill attended basic training at Fort Dix, NJ, and then onto Fort Belvoir, VA, for engineer heavy equipment operator school. Upon graduation, he was assigned to Fort Benning, GA, 78th combat engineer battalion during which time they were on three months of training in preparation of oversea deployment. In August 1950, he was transferred by troopship to Okinawa, Japan, where he was assigned to SCARWAF (Special Category Army with Air Force) supporting the Air Force with runway construction. The larger aircraft's coming and going from Korea required runways to be extended with coral rock which is what most of Okinawa was made of and the work went 24 hours a day.
In March of 1950, he was sent to Korea and actually waded ashore with his gear. He was transported to Suwon Air Base where he served with Charlie Company of 802nd Engineer Aviation Battalion. It would be discovered later that the engineering assignment caused permanent hearing loss and Chinese burial details resulted in PTSD, of which both required treatment until his death.
He shipped out of Korea December 31, 1951, to Camp Walker, TX, where he was discharged having served three years, two months, and nineteen days. He eventually returned to the Milo area. He began working for Canadian Pacific Railroad and retired after 39 years as an engineer. He was a business agent for Locomotive of Engineers and was offered a job in Chicago to train engineers but turned it down because it was too far from home and couldn't picture himself sitting at a desk. He really missed the railroad. Billy enjoyed 25 years of retirement.
Bill was an avid gardener. In the summer of 1981, he grew a turnip that weighed 31.5 pounds and a photo of him and the turnip made it to the Boston Globe. He recommended natural fertilizer and had his Herefords pasture on his garden spot in the winter.
He was a hard worker and belonged to the United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners of America union 621 as well as a member of Joseph P. Chaisson Legion Post 41. Bill was also a lifetime member of the Korean War Veterans Association. He was known to cut a lot of wood with chain saws and work with horses. In the summer of 2015, he worked his bulldozer twitching about 250 cords of wood which his son, Alan, had cut. He enjoyed working in the woods.
Please don't grieve for me, I had a good life and now it's my time to be with Lord. Billy gave his life to Christ in the summer of 2016. He requested no funeral but definitely a party. A spring graveside service with a celebration of life will be announced at a later date. Condolences to the family may be expressed at
Bangor Daily News

Previous: Adolph B. Mattson
Memoriam Home