Skip to content

Sethen

Seth Barden

BROWNVILLE, Maine (WABI) – A family from Brownville is asking the community for support as they navigate a serious medical diagnosis for their infant son.

Bradley Hanson will be two months old on Thursday, September 16th.

His parents say he was born with a heart murmur, which doctors hoped would go away on its own. Instead, his symptoms worsened.

Last week, he was rushed to a Boston hospital after tests revealed he had a narrow aortic valve.

Bradley underwent surgery over the weekend, and now his parents are waiting to hear if he’ll need another operation.

“It’s been very scary,” said Desiree Abbott, Bradley’s mom. “All I’ve wanted to do is pick him up and hold him. When he got his tube out, they told me that he was going to be a healthy little boy, he was gonna be happy. His stats were looking good, and then I watched my nurses eyes go big and she goes pale white and the next thing I know we got 10 people in here and a crash cart.”

“We haven’t been able to hold him or anything like that because of his breathing tube and a lot of the IVs that are in him right now,” said Travis Hanson, Bradley’s dad. “So he’s pretty much pretty sleepy all the time because they’re keeping him sedated.”

Bradley’s dad Travis works as a truck driver and has taken an indefinite leave of absence so he can be with his family.

They say they’re leaning on friends and family during this time.

“We are living off coffee and prayers,” Abbott said in an email to TV5.

They have a GoFundMe set up to help with medical bills, travel expenses, and other costs they accumulate during this time.

If you’d like to contribute, click here.

Copyright 2021 WABI. All rights reserved.

A Milo man with a history of domestic violence assault is charged with murder in connection with the death of his 1-month-old son on Sunday, according to the Maine attorney general’s office.

Reginald Melvin, 28, is charged with depraved indifference murder in the death of Sylus Melvin, who was born July 28.

The circumstances surrounding the baby’s death have not been made public.

Melvin made his first court appearance Tuesday afternoon remotely from the Piscataquis County Jail in Dover-Foxcroft before Superior Court Justice William Anderson.

Anderson impounded the affidavit at the request of Assistant Attorney General Leane Zainea, who is prosecuting the case.

Anderson set bail at $250,000 cash or $500,000 in property.

Melvin, who wept throughout the short hearing, did not indicate whether he or his family could post such a high bail. Conditions include no contact with children.

An attorney has not yet been appointed to represent Melvin on the murder charge, the judge said. Melvin’s next court date has not been set.

Melvin’s criminal history dates back to March 2012 when he was charged with domestic violence terrorizing. Over the next six years, Melvin was charged more than half a dozen times with crimes of domestic violence, according to his criminal history. Last year and this year, he has pleaded guilty to two misdemeanor counts of drug possession and has been fined.

Sylus is one of four Maine children allegedly killed by a parent since early June, prompting a fresh round of scrutiny for the state’s child welfare system and an outside investigation into the deaths. In addition, an 11-month-old in Corinna overdosed on fentanyl late in June but survived.

In Penobscot County, Ronald Harding, 36, of Brewer is charged with manslaughter in connection with the June death of his 6-week-old son.

The 3-year-old daughter of Hillary Goding, 28, of Old Town died a few days later after allegedly ingesting drugs that belonged to her mother. Goding is charged with manslaughter and depraved indifference murder.

In nearby Waldo County, Jessica Trefethen, 35, of Stockton Springs was charged in June with the depraved indifference murder of her 3-year-old son, Maddox Williams, after an autopsy showed he had suffered a fractured spine, bruises on his arms, legs, belly and head, bleeding in his brain, a ruptured bowel and other injuries.

If convicted of manslaughter, Harding and Goding face up to 30 years in prison. If convicted of murder, Melvin, Goding and Trefethen face between 25 years and life in prison.

If you are concerned about a child being neglected or abused, call Maine’s 24-hour hotline at 800-452-1999 or 711 to speak with a child protective specialist. Calls may be made anonymously. For more information, visit maine.gov/dhhs/ocfs/provider-resources/reporting-suspected-child-abuse-and-neglect.

MILO, Maine (WABI) – A Milo man accused of murdering his son is being held on $250,000 bail.

Twenty-eight-year-old Reginald Melvin appeared before a judge in Piscataquis County Tuesday afternoon.

Melvin is charged with depraved indifference murder for the death of one-month old Sylus Melvin.

Prosecutors say the incident that caused the infant’s death happened on Sunday in Milo.

Additional court records have been sealed.

Melvin’s next court appearance has not yet been scheduled.

Copyright 2021 WABI. All rights reserved.

Copyright © 1996-2021 Three Rivers Community of Maine